Thursday, January 15, 2015

"Toe the Line"!


This week we started a new writing unit, opinion writing! I found a great unit on TpT created by Samantha Kelly. She did a great job creating activities that are fun and engaging. Yesterday we played one of her games "toe the line". As I read a statement, if they agreed, they put their foot on the line. Those that put their foot on the line had to give us a reason why they agreed with the statement. Today we played several rounds of "would you rather". Another great way for students to practice their opinions verbally. This unit has three weeks of lesson plans included. To check out this great unit, click on the picture below!

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Opinion-Writing-1630431

At the beginning of the year open house, I explained to all the parents I would be giving their child the challenge to read 1000 words to me before the end of the year. As with many things in my room, each student tracks their own progress in their "progress chart" file folder. The neat thing about this activity is that each child gets to move at their own pace. They are motivated by each other and congratulate each other when they get to put stickers on their chart! Once they read 1000 words they receive their "star trophy". FUN STUFF!


 

 
 
As I introduce a new phonics rule, word or letter pattern, I provide my students with lists of words that they can read to practice their new learning. The more words they read, the more stickers they get to put on their charts! If you are interested in the word lists I use, click the picture below and it will take you to my TpT store!
 
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Building-Fluency-Bundle-1239509
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment